Germany is the second most populated country in Europe after Russia and it is the eight most visited country on the planet. It is known for food, history, sports, celebrations, culture, strict spots, memorable spots, and so on. It is a country wherein the vacationers can live it up with family as well as companions. The time region of Germany is Focal European Time (CET) which is four and half hours behind the Indian Standard Time (IST).
Location and Population: – Germany is located in the central part of Europe. It shares borders with Denmark, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Poland, Austria, France, Luxemburg, Belgium and Netherlands. The geographical area of Germany is 357,021 km2.
According to the census conducted in the year 2022, the population of Germany is 84.3 million.
Germany’s History: – The history of Germany begins right from the various tribes that occupied and divided Germany. It was earlier called as Germania but then later the Roman empire ruled Germany and from there various empires came and ruled in Germany. During the 18th century there was a German revolution that broke out and there were battles between Austria and the Prussian empire. The war was won by Prussia and it led to the formation of the North German Federation. Germany entered world war I as a central power along with other countries in its support and they lost the war which led to division of territories through the treaty of Versailies. There were economic problems in Germany and the formation of the Weimar Republic as well as Nazi Germany which led to the rise of Adolf Hitler, the dictator who started World War II by capturing Poland, Czechoslovakia and Austria. Germany had murdered more than 10 million people including jews. The Allied powers defeated Germany in the second world war and eventually Hitler committed suicide and Germany surrendered. The German states were divided into 4 zones by the Allied powers which later on formed Germany.
Facts you should know about Germany: – There are various facts that the tourists should know about Germany before visiting it which are as follows: –
- Germany has the biggest railway station in Europe which is in Berlin and the name of the station is Berlin Hauptbahnhof, a five storey railway station.
- Germany is the third most widely taught language in the world after French.
- 65% of the highways in Germany have no speed limit and are called the Autobahn.
- Germany sells around 6 million cars a year, making it one of the largest car producers in the world.
- Germany has more castles and zoos throughout the country.
- The highest peak in Germany is the Zugspitze in Bavaria which is 2,962 metres high.
Culture and Food: – The German people are very caring towards each other and they are known for their arts as well as architecture. It is the home from where great people like Albert Einstein, Karl Marx, etc. were born. The people in Germany wear western clothes and the religion is more of Christianity with some part of the population is Muslims.
The German cuisine contains more non vegetarian dishes and they use more of pork. The Germans love to have beer during their meals. They use more potatoes, green vegetables in their dishes. Some of the popular German dishes are Wurst, Rouladen, Sauerbraten, Brezel, Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte, etc.
Things to explore in Germany: – There are many things for the tourists to explore in Germany in terms of festivals and adventure activities. Some of which are as follows: –
- Rhine in Flames Festival: – The travellers will get to see firecrackers from five areas on independent dates along the Rhine waterway. It is a lovely presentation of firecrackers and the sightseers would appreciate it.The greatest occasion of this celebration occurs on the second Saturday of August in Koblenz.
- Oktoberfest: – This is the most popular festival in Germany wherein beers are consumed in big quantities and it is celebrated in the month of September. The festival happens in Munich for two weeks which includes more beer, dance, music, etc. The festival happens to celebrate the marriage of the Bavarian Prince King Louis I to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen. The mayor begins the festival by opening the beer bottle and having the first sip of the beer.
- World Club Dome Festival: – The World club dome festival is an open air festival which happens in a stadium in Frankfurt. It is the world’s biggest club. It is organised by radio station Radio beats which happens for 3 days and with 20 DJ’s.
- Bavarian National Park: – It is the oldest national park in Germany and the tourists can personally interact with a wide number of species such as wolves, bison, lynx, etc. The tourists can reach this park through biking or by doing a hike till the park which bears the mountain ranges.
- Bastei: –Bastei is a decent spot to go for climbing with rock developments and precipices. It gives a decent perspective on the area and it is otherwise called the painter’s way. The travellers can likewise see the Elbe stream beneath and after they complete the climb they can have some nearby food around there.
Things to buy in Germany: – There are various things for the tourists to buy in Germany in order to complete their shopping list. Some of which are German chocolates, German beer, clothing, German herbs and spices, tea, toys, alcohol, magnets, keychains, football team jerseys, Beer Steins, Cuckoo clock, Sauerkraut juice, Birkenstock Shoes, etc.
Best time to visit: – The best time to visit Germany is during the summer season between June to September as the tourists would be able to do more outdoor activities and smoothly explore the country. Besides this the temperatures would also be bearable as compared to other seasons in Germany.
Places to visit in Germany
- Berlin: – The city in Germany which is the capital and largest city of Germany is Berlin. Some of the sightseeing points that the tourists will cover are the Brandenburg gate which is a historical monument that consists of six gates and it was built by King Fredick William II. The tourists should visit the Brandenburg gate at night when the lights are lit around the gates. The next place is Berlin’s Television Tower which is at a height of 368 metres and it is located in the Central part of Berlin. The tourists can visit the observation deck at the tower which will give a good view of Berlin city and it is the tallest structure in Germany. The last place that the tourist should visit is the Berlin wall memorial which talks about the wall that divided Berlin into East Germany and West Germany since 1961. East Germany made this wall to prevent citizens from going to West Germany and this led to many deaths. It is located at the Bernauer Straße at the corner of Ackerstraße. Besides this there is a museum that contains exhibits which is the Marienfelde Refugee Center Museum and memorials about the Berlin wall at the visitor centre.
- Munich: – The city in Germany which is the capital of Bavaria and it is the third largest city in Germany is Munich. Some of the sightseeing points that will be covered are the Allianz Arena which is a popular stadium for all football lovers. It is the home for Germany football team and FC Bayern Munchen which is a local team that plays in Bundesliga football tournaments. The next place is theMarienplatz which is a central square that is located in Munich. There are various things to see at the Marienplatz such as New town hall, Marinasaule, old town hall, etc. The Marienplatz becomes more crowded during Christmas Eve. The next place is the BMW Museum which is an automobile museum that talks about the BMW automobile company and it is located near the Olympia park. There are exhibits of the cars in the museum. The last place that the tourists should visit is the Nymphenburg Palace which used to be the summer residence of Max Emanuel, the heir to the throne. It is located in the western district of Munich and it is known for its architecture.
- Cologne: – The city that is located near the Rhine river and the fourth most populated city in Germany is Cologne. Some of the sightseeing points that the tourists will cover are the Hohenzollern bridge which is a railway bridge that is across the Rhine river and there is a footpath in the side for the tourists to explore the bridge and put locks on the fence of the bridge. It is best to go in the evening when the bridge is lit with beautiful lights. It is near the Cologne Cathedral. The next place is the Chocolate museum which is managed by Schokoladenmuseum Köln GmbH and it talks about the history of chocolates, there is a cocoa tree and exhibits containing various chocolates. The tourists can get a chance to taste some delicious chocolate samples during the tour and see the making of a chocolate bar. The last place that the tourists should visit is the Koelner zoo which is a place for all animal lovers to visit in Cologne. It contains various varieties of species and it is one of the largest elephant parks in Europe. Some of the animals are Apes, Elephants, Hippos, flying foxes, lizards, birds, etc.
- Frankfurt: – The city in Germany which is the largest in the state of Hesse is Frankfurt. Some of the sightseeing points that the tourists should cover are the Maintower which is a big skyscraper that consists of 56 floors and there are two observation decks which will allow the tourists to get a good view of the city of Frankfurt. It is known for its architecture. The next place is the Palm garden which is located in the West End-Süd district. It is a botanical garden that contains a rockery, buffalo hill, greenhouse, lakes, etc. It is the largest park in Germany and it has become a popular picnic spot for the tourists. The last place that the tourists should visit is the Frankfurt Cathedral. The Cathedral is made using red sandstone and it is known for its Gothic style of architecture. Besides this the tourists can also see the relic of the skullcap of St. Bartholomew that is kept in the Late Romanesque Bartholomew’s Choir.
How to reach Germany from India: – The tourists can reach Germany from India through flights as there are various airlines such as Air India, Emirates, Lufthansa, Go first, etc. Besides this the tourists can travel to Germany through rail and by road after reaching a European country near Germany.
Popular Packages: – These are a list of popular packages to travel to Germany which also includes packages to visit other countries along with France. They are as follows: –
|Name of the Package||Duration of the Package||Price of the Package (RS)||Countries|
|Grand Europe||15 nights / 16 days||3,03,990||United Kingdom, Holland, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Vatican City|
|Glimpses of Europe||9 nights / 10 days||2,17,990||Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and France|
|New Amazing Europe Tour||9 nights / 10 days
|1,82,990||Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland and France|
|Classic Eastern Europe||7 nights / 8 days||1,71,990||Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Austria|
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the currency of Germany ?
Ans: The currency of Germany is Euros
- What is the language spoken in Germany ?
Ans: The Language spoken in Germany is German.
- What are the eateries in Germany that serve Indian food?
Ans: A portion of the eateries in Germany that serve Indian food are India Club, Indian Curry house, Bombay Castle, AmmAmma, and so forth.
- Which is the most popular sport in Germany?
Ans: The most popular sport in Germany is football.
- What are the places to shop in Germany?
Ans: A portion of the spots to shop in Germany are Schildergasse road, Zeil road, Shopping centre of Berlin, Kaufingerstraße, Olympia shopping centre, and so on.
- Is Germany a good place for a honeymoon?
Ans: Yes, Germany is a good place for couples to go for a honeymoon.