Greece is the only country in Europe that has the longest coastline. The country is mainly known for its islands, mainland and peloponnese. It is known for its food, culture, history, beaches, etc. It is a very popular romantic destination for couples especially for their honeymoons and it is also used to shoot some popular Bollywood movie songs such as Swag Se Swagat from the movie, “Tiger zinda Hai”. The time zone of Greece is Eastern European Standard time which is three and half hours behind the Indian Standard time (IST).
Location and Population: – Greece is located in the Southeastern part of Europe and it is sharing borders with Albania, North Macedonia, Turkey and Bulgaria. The geographical area of Greece is 131,957 km2 .
According to the Census conducted in the year 2021, the population of Greece is 9,716,889.
Greece’s History: – The history of Greece has gone through a lot of ups and downs. There have been wars as well as political issues in Greece. The Greeks had to defend Greece against the Persian empire. King Leonidas and his army of 300 Spartans fought the battle of Thermopylae but they were all killed by the forces under Xerxes I. The sacrifice of King Leonidas and his 300 Spartans men did not go in vain. The Greeks fought back in the Battle of Salamis and Platea which led to the downfall of the Persian empire.
Facts you should know about Greece: – There are various facts that tourists should know about Greece before visiting it which are as follows: –
- Greece is the third largest producer of Olives in the world after Spain and Italy.
- Greece is a mountainous country in Europe as 80% of the country is covered with mountains.
- Did you know that Greece has a total of around 18 UNESCO world heritage sites?
- Greece has a diverse array of wildlife and there are various animals which are spotted in some popular islands in Greece.
- There is an increase in the number of tourists visits in Greece which is double than the total population of Greece
- Greece is one of the sunniest places in the world as it receives more than 250 days of sunshine.
- The Greek language is one of the oldest languages that is still being used for writing in the world.
Culture and Food: – Greece is known as the cradle of western civilization and it is the birthplace of democracy. The Greeks are known for their arts and architecture. The people are very friendly and they love to party more. They are very fond of coffee as compared to tea and they like to do more outdoor activities. The religion in Greece is Christianity but there are people from other religions who reside in Greece such as Muslims, etc. Greece is the place from where great leaders like Alexander the Great, Leonidas I, etc. were known to the world.
The Greek cuisine originated from the Mediterranean triad. There are pillars in this cuisine which are wheat, olive oil, wine, fruits, vegetables, honey, and fish. Meats like lamb and beef are also used in this cuisine. Some of the popular Greek dishes are Moussaka, Papoutsakia, Pastitsio, Souvlaki, Tzatziki, etc.
Things to explore in Greece: – There are various things for the tourists to explore in Greece in terms of festivals and adventure activities which are as follows: –
- Greek Orthodox Easter: – The Greek Orthodox Easter festival is one of the important festivals in Greece. The festival happens on the 16th April. The Easter preparation activities happen a week before the festival wherein there will be mass going on till midnight in Churches until the day of the festival. The people eat Tsoureki, lamb soup, etc. to celebrate the occasion. Besides the eggs are painted red which shows the resurrection of Jesus Christ and it marks the victory of life after death.
- Rockwave music festival: – The rockwave music festival is a popular music festival that happens in Greece between the months of June and July. It is held at the Terra Vibe park and it is known for popular international artists like Amenra, Judas Priest, Arctic monkeys, James bay, Robbie Williams, etc.
- August moon festival: – The August moon festival is held in Greece in accordance with the lunar calendar in the month of August and it is a full moon night. There will be celebrations everywhere in Greece, there will be dance performances, music concerts, art exhibitions, film screenings, etc. The whole of Greece will erupt in joy to celebrate this festival.
- Hiking: – There are various spots in Greece for the tourists to go for hiking. They can also go to historic places as well as islands for hiking. Some of the places are Olympus mountain, Samaira Gorge, Epirus trail, Tomb of Kleoboulus, etc.
- Horse Riding: – There are horse riding centres for tourists who love horses and they want to take a ride on the horses. Some of the popular horse riding centres are Laganas horse riding centre, Efippos horse farm, Harriet’s Hydra horses, Salt lake stables, Santorini horse riding, etc.
- Skydiving: – It is an adventure sport which is in the bucket list of every tourist when he is travelling around Greece or other European countries. There are skydiving centres in Greece and some of the centres are in Athens and Thessaloniki which are the two popular cities of Greece.
Things to buy in Greece: – There are various things for the tourists to buy in Greece in order to complete their shopping list. Some of them are Greek Honey, Olive oil, Greek coffee, Leather sandals, worry beads, Greek jewellery, Feta Cheese, herbs and spices, sweets, traditional pastas, mati, artefacts, pottery, clothing, cosmetics, Bouzouki, etc.
Best time to visit: – The best time to visit Greece is from March to September wherein the tourists can visit between the three seasons that is spring and summer season. The tourists can explore more of the outdoor activities during these seasons. The summer season is the peak season in Greece which happens between June to September and there is less crowd as compared to summer season in Greece between March to May. Besides this the flight rates would be less in the spring season. However the tourists can also visit Greece in the autumn season between September to November as the climate would be pleasant but there would be little rainfall during that time.
Places to visit in Greece
- Athens: – The city which is the capital and largest city in Greece is Athens. Some of the sightseeing points that the tourists would cover are the Acropolis of Athens which is located on the highest point of Athens that is on a hill. It contains the ruins of Athens and various things inside the Acropolis such as the Parthenon which is a temple dedicated to Goddess Athena. The Acropolis is known for its architecture and it is to be visited in the evening when the lights are lit around the Acropolis. The next place is Panathenaic stadium which is the only stadium in the world that is made from marble. The stadium can accommodate around 50,000 people and it was during the 18th century, the stadium was used to conduct the first modern olympics in Greece and it was also used to conduct Olympic ceremonies. The last place is the national Archaeological museum which is the first national museum in Greece and it contains various old archaeological artefacts right from the time of prehistory.
- Santorini: – The island which is located in the Aegean sea and it is a good spot for couples to go for honeymoon is Santorini. It is also known for its beaches and vineyards. Some of the sightseeing points that the tourists would cover are Santos winery wherein the tourists will get a chance to taste some popular wines over there. Some of them are Santorini Assyrtiko, Santorini Nykteri, Crescendo, Kratiras, Visanto 12 years ageing, etc. The next place is Perissia black beach which is one of the popular beaches in Santorini. It is located at the base of Vasco mountain and there are umbrellas, a playground, lounging chairs, etc. Besides this the tourists can also do water sports activities like parasailing, jet skiing, windsurfing, banana boating, etc. The tourists can also visit the seaside restaurants and bars to taste some good local dishes. The last thing that the tourists can do is go for a hiking trail from Fira to Oia which is around 10 km and the tourists can view various towns, churches and mountains on their way. Besides there are trail markers available during the hike.
- Thessaloniki: – The city in Greece which is the second most populated after Athens is Thessaloniki. Some of the sightseeing points that the tourists would cover are the White tower of Thessaloniki which contains 6 floors and earlier during the Ottoman Empire, it used to be a prison and a place to conduct mass executions. Once Greece got control, they revamped the tower including the exterior and now it has become a symbol of the city. The next place is the Church of Saint Demetrios which is a church dedicated to Demitrios who was imprisoned and then martyred. The Church is known for its architecture. The last place that the tourists should visit is the Aristotelous Square which is a popular city square to conduct political rally speeches. Besides, there are cafes, bars, Olympian theatre cinema where the Thessaloniki international film festival is held and there is a five star hotel named Electra Palace hotel.
- Crete: – The island in Greece which is the largest and most populated island is, Crete. Some of the sightseeing points that the tourists would cover are the old Chania venetian harbour in Crete which is an important trading centre built by the Venetians during the 13th century and the harbour is revamped. There are cafes, bars, eateries, etc. Besides this the tourists can also go to the lighthouse and get a good view of the harbour and the sunset. The next place is Samaria gorge national park which is a good place in the Crete island to go for a hike. The tourists can also use horses or jeeps to go hiking. The tourists can explore the greenery of the Samaria gorge national park at its best. The last place that the tourists should visit is the Akardi monastery which is located on the southeast of Rethymnon in Crete island. It is known for its architecture which is a mixture of Roman and Baroque architecture. The monastery has gone through a lot of attacks by the Ottoman empire but then it was restored.
How to reach Greece from India: – The tourists can reach Greece from India through flights and there are various airlines that fly to Greece. Some of them are Indigo, Etihad Airways, Emirates, Qatar Airways, etc. The tourists can also reach Greece through road and rail after they reach a country near Greece. Besides this there is one more way to reach Greece which is through a Cruise that can be taken from India but it is the slowest mode of transport to reach Greece.
Popular Packages: – There are two popular packages that we recommend to our customers who want to travel to Greece and there is a package which includes another country to travel along with Greece. The packages are as follows: –
|Name of the Package||Duration of the Package||Price of the Package||Countries|
|Best of Greece with Turkey||7 nights / 8 days||1,10,000||Turkey and Greece|
|Best of Greece||6 nights / 7 days||98,999||Greece|
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the currency of Greece?
Ans: The currency of Greece is Euros.
- What is the language spoken in Greece?
Ans: The language spoken in Greece is Greek but the tourists can also speak in English which is a common language.
- What are the eateries in Greece that serve Indian food?
Ans: A portion of eateries that serve Indian food are Yoleni’s Greek Gastronomy Center, Curry Park, Saffron Indian and Iranian-Persian Restaurant, Jaipur Palace, etc.
- What are the things that the tourists should be aware of in Greece?
Ans: There are few things that tourists should be aware of Greece which are : –
- Whenever tourists buy any product they have to make payment by cash as Greece is the only country in Europe that does not accept cards.
- The tourists should be very careful of their belongings in Greece as there are chances of pickpocketing in the streets of Greece.
- The tourists should rent a car, lodge tickets in advance during the peak seasons in Greece.
- Which is the most popular sport in Greece ?
Ans: The most popular sport in Greece is football.
- What are the places to shop in Greece ?
Ans: There are various places to shop in Greece which are Piraeus Flea market, The Mall, Ermou market, Kifisia district in Athens, Plaka, etc.